Sunday, April 28, 2013

About Bipolar Disorder

Thought I should let you know what Bipolar Disorder is, so you know what the heck I'm talking about here!
Here is a link to the website I trust the most to tell you about Bipolar Disorder- NAMI. 
NAMI stands for National Alliance on Mental Illness, and is probably the most comprehensive website I can think of on this issue. 
I have included only the link that shows you exactly what Bipolar looks like...the symptoms and recovery, but www.nami.org gives a wealth of information on everything related to this disorder, as well as other mental illnesses.  Here is the link:
http://www.nami.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Mental_Illnesses/Bipolar1/Home_-_What_is_Bipolar_Disorder_.htm

I have Bipolar II, which generally means that I do not experience the full-blown mania (which I am eternally grateful for).  I have only ever experienced hypo-mania, which is an increased sense of self, grandiosity, "I am on top of the world and can do anything" feeling , high-anxiety type of mania.  It is not as bad as full-blown mania, but has caused me to make many bad decisions and think that I could handle anything, though I couldn't. 

With Bipolar II, individuals usually experience more depression than hypo-mania, and I have been told by many of my doctors that the depression side in Bipolar II patients is what leads them most often to have suicidal thinking and lands them in the hospital, more than the hypo-mania side.

These things have only been my experience as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment